This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
click here to display PDF version of this statement
Access Statement for Woodchester Mansion
Woodchester Mansion is a 19th century Victorian Gothic masterpiece abandoned mid-construction in 1873. Hidden in a secluded Cotswold valley, it is untouched by time and the modern world. This Grade I listed building has been saved from dereliction, but will never be completed.
The Mansion is situated in National Trust-owned Woodchester Park, the entrance to which is close to the village of Nympsfield, 5 miles south of Stroud in Gloucestershire. Access is by parking in the NT car park and either walking two thirds of a mile to the Mansion or using the Mansion's hourly minibus service, which leaves from the bottom of the car park steps and ramp.
There are no WCs in the NT car park.
The Mansion has three floors but the majority is visible from ground floor level.
We are a member of the Visit England Visitor Attraction Quality Scheme and offer free admission to carers.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01453 861541 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For a map and details of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website
- Stroud is the nearest railway station (5 miles)
- Grid reference SO 79528 01420
- Please feel free to contact us in advance of your visit to help you make the most of your day.
- By prior arrangement (minimum 24 hours notice) wheelchair users can drive or be driven to the Mansion but booking is essential to ensure that we can meet your needs on the day. Woodchester Mansion is a grade I listed building and has no lift.
- Below are some websites offering information, products or services you might find useful:
Car Parking and Arrival
- Please park in the National Trust car park (80 spaces). This has a rough rather than a tarmac surface. From there it is two thirds of a mile down a rough track through woodland to the Mansion. On open days our minibus runs hourly starting at 11am from the foot of the National Trust car park steps and ramp (last bus down at 4pm). The bus returns to the car park at a quarter to the hour (last bus from the Mansion is 4.45pm). The car park is free to National Trust members and Blue Badge holders, otherwise £3.
- There is a shallow ramp to the Entrance Hall
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The main entrance is on the ground floor with a shallow ramp, wooden floor, no steps. The clear door opening width is 43 inches (1090mm). There is a seat available.
- Free admission for carers
- There is signage and interpretation on boards and hanging banners
- There is no hearing loop system
- The inner door opening width is 35.5 inches (900mm) from the entrance hall to the main corridor
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- A free guided tour at 11.45am or 2.30pm is included in the ticket price
- There are interpretation boards and hanging banners
- The floor surfaces vary around the Mansion (wood, stone, solid earth and wood chip) and are uneven in places
- There are chairs around the Mansion in the Entrance Hall, Drawing Room, TV room, bat observatory (first floor) and Servants' Hall tea room
- There are picnic tables outside
- The public toilets are in a separate block at the rear of the Mansion. They are open only when the Mansion is open. This includes a unisex accessible toilet. There is level entry with a slight lip. The clear door opening width is 27 inches (690mm). All other door widths throughout the ground floor of the Mansion are wider than this.
- The toilet height is 16 inches (400mm)
- Exterior lighting is motion-activated, interior by manual switch (switched on at start of open day)
- Servants' Hall tea room is on the ground floor and has a stone floor but is approached on level wooden boards. The clear door opening width is 39 inches (990mm).
- Special dietary needs are catered for - please check ingredients with staff before ordering. An allergens folder is available on request but please ring in advance if you need information ahead of your visit.
- Orders are taken in the Servery and can be delivered to your table in the Servants' Hall or outside. The Servery clear door opening width is 37.5 inches (955mm).
- WCs and accessible WC are located outside the rear of the building, about 150 metres from the Servants' Hall.
- There is a shop with level access on the ground floor, clear door opening width is 34.5 inches (875mm). This room also contains exhibits illustrating aspects of the Mansion's history and a TV screen and chairs for you to watch a DVD showing an imagined depiction of the completed Mansion.
Grounds and Gardens
- Picnic area with picnic tables on lawn area.
- Level but not smooth surface as well as some grass.
- Assistance dogs welcome, water bowl available.
- Audible but not visible fire alarm.
- We are reviewing our website so please let us know of any improvements you think we could make.
- National Trust have indicated that they plan to improve the access ramp from their car park to the track.
Address (Inc postcode):
Woodchester Mansion Nympsfield Stonehouse Gloucestershire GL10 3TS
Hours Of Operation:
Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays 22.3.16 to 30.10.16 11am to 5pm, last entry 4pm
Local Accessible Taxi:
Class 1 Private Hire, Ebley 01453 821126 or 07974 977940 Martins, Berkeley 01453 511115 Apollo Taxis 01453 823344
Local Public Transport: